[NBLUG/talk] php 4 vs. php 5 -- which to use? how to maintain?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Sat Mar 11 20:25:19 PST 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 07:30:49PM -0800, Dave Sisley wrote:
> Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> >So, this leads me to an obvious question: why run php4 on a distro that
> >doesn't really do php4 anymore?  Why not Debian or RHEL or CentOS or WBEL

> Eric - Your question may be obvious, but it never occurred to *me*!  I

Heh.  Okay, so maybe it was only obvious to me...

> implying is true:  Do the distros you mention offer the possibility of
> pathches for php 4?  If so, that's my answer - I'm trying to just build

Yes.  Debian stable has php4 (and php3!) packages that are presumably
patched when there's problems.  RHEL3 and RHEL4 both provide php4, not yet
php5 and everything provided in those will get patches for years.  CentOS
and WBEL are free clones of RHEL that provide the same patches by rebuilding
from source.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder, Scribe and InstallFest Coordinator