[NBLUG/talk] Quick note re: MythTV

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Thu May 4 14:24:35 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 02:28:08AM -0700, Scott Doty wrote:
} On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 09:32:02AM -0700, Jeff Coffler wrote:
} > So are you saying that, with a Motorola DCT-6200, you can get some channels
} > via firewire, but not all channels?  I would have expected that only
} > encrypted channels wouldn't be available via firewire, but all others would
} > be.
} >
} > Is this not the case?
}
} Well, I tried the Science channel (channel 272 on Comcast), and myth didn't
} like it.  I must confess, though, I've only tried a few channels -- the
} encrypted channels don't work, of course, but I can't think of any reason
} they would be protecting the content on Science...

On Comcast all digital channels (channels > 100) are encrypted except
for the broadcast HD channels (702-709) and the SD channels simulast
with the HD channels (186-194).  In Santa Rosa ESPN HD and Discovery HD
are also in the clear, but in some cities they are encrypted.

They don't want you getting any of the other digital channels for free
if you have a QAM capable TV or tuner card.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us