[NBLUG/talk] How to upgrade MySQL 4 -> 5 on FC4

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Tue May 16 07:17:50 PDT 2006

Hey:

I want to use Groundwork for Nagios on my work machine, which is running
a fresh update of Fedora Core 4.  Unfortunately, Groundwork requires
MySQL 5.0.16 or higher.  Specifically, Groundwork wants the *-client,
*-server  and *-shared-compat packages for MySQL.

My machine is running the following:

    mysql-devel-4.1.16-1.FC4.1
    mysql-4.1.16-1.FC4.1
    php-mysql-5.0.4-10.5
    mysql-server-4.1.16-1.FC4.1

I'm looking for suggestion as to how to upgrade.  Sadly, it's not as
easy as 'yum update mysql' - I already have the latest available
versions for my repositories and FC4 ships with MySQL4, not 5.  I have
downloaded the dynamically linked RPMs from MySQL's mirrors, but get
wierd errors when I try to 'yum localupdate...' them.  The latest error
looks like this:

    Package MySQL-server not installed, cannot update it. Run yum
    install to install it instead.

Is that because I have 'mysql-server' installed, not 'MySQL-server'?  Do
I need to change the name of the new package?  It feels more likely that
I will need to remove the old packages (yum remove ...) and then install
the new ones (yum localinstall...).

A last option would be to upgrade one more time to FC5, but I would
rather not.  Can anyone recommend a method for upgrading MySQL?  I smell
disaster if I just plow ahead like I usually do -- Help me save me from
myself!

Thanks,

-dave.

--