[NBLUG/talk] Udev and GDM Greeter

Stephen Cilley hydro_mancer at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 12:57:42 PDT 2006

I just did a debian install last night and I've got
two problems, one seems like a bug, the other is just
my inability to formulate proper google searches.
So I did the install on the first and only ide hdd in
the computer.  Other than that drive I have 2 dvd
drives, and two SATA drives (and a floppy.)  I reboot
and it comes up with some very strange looking error
about not being able to get at the root partition.  I
look at the fstab and it looks like the installer has
mistakenly referred to all of the partitions on the
ide drive by /dev/hde instead of /dev/hda and the grub
and mtab have the same thing.  So I changed it and it
booted alright, and then I reboot again and it says
the same thing, only this time it's looking at hda and
it's actually at hde.  I reboot about 10 more times
just to test, and it is completely randomly
fluctuating between the two.  Has udev gone crazy?
Second, and I realize this may be a bit of a stupid
question, but how do I escape the gdm greeter?  It
installed it automatically during the debian install
and now I can't get out of X (every time I kill it, it
just resurrects itself.)
Thank you,
Stephen