[NBLUG/talk] memory leaks

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Thu Aug 30 11:20:02 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:56:33AM -0500, calvin166 at pseudoweb.net wrote:
> It's funny, because I have noticed this before, but have just gotten in
> the habit of letting it be instead of complaining about the memory leaks.
> In fact there are many bugs in opensource and/or free software that I see
> people just living with and working around then actually reporting.
>
> Maybe this is obvious to everyone else and I'm just noticing, but does it
> seem to you guys that people are either a) not taking a proactive enough
> approach towards foss and/or b) willing to deal with more bugs/complain
> less about something they got for free?

Writing a proper bug report takes time.  To do it right, you need to 1)
provide the steps to duplicate the issue and 2) take some effort to see if
your bug has already been reported.

BTW, Debian and Ubuntu contain the easy-to-use 'reportbug' package:
 reportbug is a tool designed to make the reporting of bugs in Debian
 and derived distributions relatively painless.  Its features include:
 .
  * Integration with the mutt, af, and mh/nmh mail readers.
  * Access to outstanding bug reports to make it easier to identify
    whether problems have already been reported.
  * Automatic checking for newer versions of packages.
  * Optional automatic verification of integrity of packages via debsums.
  * Support for following-up on outstanding reports.
  * Optional PGP/GnuPG integration.