[NBLUG/talk] More LDAP....

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 15:48:19 PDT 2007

On Sep 21, 2007, at 11:40 AM, Joey Moe wrote:

> I was looking at some of what Jetspeed  does. Looks interesting.
> I'm not sure what I am going to do with the LDAP server right now.
> It currently functioning as a searchable directory, so I ok with it
> working like that for now. I've moved on to Sendmail. I plan on
> running a local mail server for the house, so I can control who can
> and can't spam me. Maybe when you roll back to OpenLDAP we can
> bounce some ideas off one another about authentication, and see if
> we can't find some mutual functionality.

Since ApacheDS seems to work just fine, I don't have any real
motivation to roll back to OpenLDAP (I'm pretty sure that the client
who was having problems with Jetspeed and OpenLDAP was having
problems due to a bug in Jetspeed).

What I'd like to do is build a portal for SSU's Alternative Spring
Break program, that could be used to coordinate schedules, aggregate
news about the places that we'll be visiting, and pretty much any
other useful things a web portal could do for the group.
Essentially, I'd like to make it highly flexible, by combining
multiple existing web applications (I'm thinking Jetspeed,
eGroupware, and possibly MediaWiki and Slashcode) in one website and
use LDAP as a common login system for them all.  My preliminary
research indicates that all of these web services support LDAP,
although the current stable release of Jetspeed does not (one of my
projects this summer was to fix the bugs that prevented it from
working with LDAP), and the only way to use it with Slashcode is with
a third-party patch.

I have no idea is this will work, hence I haven't told anyone in the
program that I'm working on it (I'm willing to describe it here
because I don't think anyone who will be participating this year
except me is on THIS mailing list).

--
Lincoln Peters	<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Internal fortune error