[NBLUG/talk] [WLUG] Mplayer and Fedora 8

Bob Blick bbblick at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 14 14:16:17 PST 2008

--- Scott Doty <scott at ponzo.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 01:50:17PM -0800, Bob Blick
> wrote:
> > Tell me again, why do people use Fedora? This is
> actually a serious
> > question. Because I know why people use RedHat and
> CentOS, they want
> > "enterprise grade" linux, but Fedora is meant to
> be a desktop linux.
> > What's good about it, especially since there are
> so many other popular
> > desktop distributions?
>
> You got to be kidding me.  That's like asking,
> "what's so good about the
> Subaru Impreza WRX STI, when there are so many other
> cars available?".

Actually I'm not kidding, just like someone shopping
for a car might really wonder why anyone would pay a
high price for an awkward-looking Japanese sedan with
a rough ride and poor mileage. Other things they might
not know are what other cars are similar, or what is
the target demographic.

More information, especially from people with
day-to-day experience, is valuable to me, and why I
asked.

I used RedHat until 6.2 when the builtin insecurity
made me leave. I tried Suse and liked it a lot, left
it when they included Beagle in the default install.
Now I'm using Kubuntu and like it pretty much.

Mostly what I've heard about Fedora is not a lot,
basically being "it's what we use at work" or "I've
used Redhat forever so this was a natural transition".
But I haven't heard yet from anyone who actively chose
Fedora, or from anyone who said anything that really
compares Fedora to others. For instance, other than
the obvious package manager differences that everyone
talks about, I don't know where Redhat differs from
other distros with regard to startup scripts, devices,
networking, etc. I haven't used it in many years, it's
changed. And I'm most interested in what's happening
under the hood, not what choice of applets the toolbar
comes populated with.

> Having said that, I refuse to be baited into a

Too late, you replied, that counts :) But seriously, I
am not being religious about this, I want to hear
about Fedora, where and why they made their choices.
And I'm sure the list has people who use Fedora along
with other distros, so they can point out the
differences.

Cheerful regards,

Bob