[NBLUG/talk] EEEPc

derf at sonic.net derf at sonic.net
Tue Jul 1 09:01:10 PDT 2008

> Well, I did it, I ordered an Asuse EEE Pc..  I got the 4G version.. I
> was wondering, do you guys stick with the version of linux that it
> comes with, or do you strip it and install something else?  Anyone
> have much luck with the latest ubuntu on it?  I read that with 7.10
> there were issues with the wireless card and you had to install
> mad-wifi stuff..  Will I need to deal with that with 8.4?

I'm still running the default Xandros install, but in "advanced mode"
instead of easy mode. It runs pretty well, and if you stick with the
default install you can do the onboard "factory restore" if anything goes
really wrong. I managed to completely mangle my window manager startup and
it went into an endless loop; the only real way out of it was a factory
reset because as far as I can tell the EEE doesn't use different
runlevels... I probably could have taken more time to fix it manually but
this is my only computer and I needed to get work done for school ASAP so
I nuked it.

I've been tempted to install the ubuntu version tailored for the EEE, but
maybe once I get out of school. Everything I need to do works just fine on
the Xandros.

> Anyways any opinions on how ubuntu 8.4 runs on it would be
> appreciated.. I already found the walk through on installing it, and
> it looks pretty straight forward.  Should be fun.
>
> -Steve

My advice is to see how the Xandros works for you in advanced mode - you
might like it well enough and then can determine how you really want to
tweak the machine.

I'm interested in the newer EEE models, but I can't really justify it - my
4G works great, I've written about a half dozen term papers on it, and its
the only working computer I own right now. Maybe in a couple years I'll
upgrade to whatever new model they have out, but for now I'm totally
happy.

Derf