[NBLUG/talk] EEEPc

steven smith sjs at sonic.net
Tue Jul 1 16:10:10 PDT 2008

Steve Johnson wrote:
> Well, I did it, I ordered an Asuse EEE Pc..  I got the 4G version.. I
> was wondering, do you guys stick with the version of linux that it
> comes with, or do you strip it and install something else?  Anyone
> have much luck with the latest ubuntu on it?  I read that with 7.10
> there were issues with the wireless card and you had to install
> mad-wifi stuff..  Will I need to deal with that with 8.4?
I've been thinking about ordering one too.  I've seen 'em
for $250 on ebay with expanded memory and an 8G sdk chip.
I'm seriously considering one for travel purposes.  The
small display makes me a little reluctant though...

> Anyways any opinions on how ubuntu 8.4 runs on it would be
> appreciated.. I already found the walk through on installing it, and
> it looks pretty straight forward.  Should be fun.

You might want to look at ubuntu's "netbook remix."
https://launchpad.net/netbook-remix
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=netbook+remix&search_type=&aq=1&oq=netbook
It's 8.04 tailored for the smaller computers, and I think
they have the desktop set up to make it more useful on the
small screen.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Steve S.