[NBLUG/talk] memory leak question

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 11:16:40 PDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Kyle Rankin <kyle at nblug.org> wrote:

> Now, if you do have an application with a memory leak (Firefox and pidgin
> have been a culprit in the past) top should show that over time it
> continues to consume more and more RAM, but when you restart the
> application it uses a substantial amount less. Now apps do often need more
> RAM as they are running (ie. for Firefox it needs more RAM for each tab
> you
> open) so it can be somewhat difficult to identify memory leaks sometimes.

Firefox was the worst app for me.  With multiple tabs open I'd have to
restart it every few days and bounce the system about once a week.  Firefox
beta is *much* better.

--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.