[NBLUG/talk] WiFi Mesh Networking

Robert P. Thille list-nblug-talk at rangat.org
Mon May 19 14:40:15 PDT 2008

mendozae at sonoma.edu wrote:
> Talking about WiFi, I would like to know this group's opinion on the big
> controversy recently at the Sebastopol City Council regarding the issue of
> having it publicly financed and installed all over that city.
>
> Anyone care to comment? Is free public WiFi a good thing or a bad thing
> (and I'm not referring to the tax issue here. I am strictly interested in
> the accusations that WiFi is a threat to health).

As I understand it, it's not publicly financed.  Sonic.net would put it
in at their cost, and expect to recoup their investment/costs by
advertising to the users via their browser.  If you login with a
sonic.net account/password, you skip the adverts.

But I'm not that familiar with the details, so either read the city
council resolution/contract (which should be on the city website), or
contact Dane Jasper, CEO @ Sonic.net.  He's very accessible.

Robert

HELP ME FIGHT CANCER!           DONATE HERE: http://tinyurl.com/ynq7uk
--
Robert Thille                7575 Meadowlark Dr.; Sebastopol, CA 95472
Home: 707.824.9753    Office/VOIP: 707.780.1560     Cell: 707.217.7544