[NBLUG/talk] Fedora Install help

Walter Coole wcoole at bcoole.com
Tue May 27 18:19:29 PDT 2008

I tried again with Fedora 8 with an identical result.

There was apparently some confusion, this is a fresh install, it just
happens to be on a systems that previously had FC6 installed on it.  The
selection that is offered on the initial screen is "Update or Install on
an Existing System", so that's the one I used (I've tried several
others, but none seem to work any better).

I'm not allergic to other distros, but since I'm not particularly
up-to-speed on virtualization, it seemed best to stick with something
for which I have credible step-by-step instructions.  Fedora bundles Xen
into the distro, which is one of the ways I've tried to get this
running.  I have a fair amount of experience with Red Hat variants and I
was able to get FC6 a lot closer to working (Dom0 was up and I got
several virts running, but not running anything I wanted), but if
someone is willing to help me out, I'd be tickled to learn a new distro.

I wasn't completely certain I had a 64-bit host, but Knoppix reports the
lm flag in /proc/cpuinfo; also, when I tried the install disk on my
laptop, it said Hey dummy, I need a 64-bit CPU or something equally
unambiguous, so I'm fairly confident that the host is suitable in that
regard.