[NBLUG/talk] Autospell check in ubuntu.. maybe other linuxs

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 10:42:57 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Steve Johnson <srj at adnd.com> wrote:
> Problem solved, and thanks again for the tip..  :)

Just in case anyone out there is curious, I figured out the solution
by Googling "firefox remove from dictionary"; I found instructions for
fixing the exact problem--but for Windows, not Linux. I was able to
"translate" the solution by replacing the path
"%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" with "~/.mozilla/firefox/".

Firefox is the same across platforms--once you figure out where it
hides its configuration on each OS. :-P

Also useful: On startup, Firefox creates a lock file within the
profile named, imaginatively enough, "lock". Surprisingly frequently,
people in the Cal Poly computer labs have Firefox crash without
removing the lock, and on the next launch, Firefox complains that it
is still running when it really isn't. The solution is to find and
delete the lock file.

(I swear, "find and delete the configuration file" is the Firefox
equivalent of "reboot Windows".)

--
William Tracy
afishionado at gmail.com -- wtracy at calpoly.edu
Vice President, Cal Poly Linux Users' Group
http://www.cplug.org