[NBLUG/talk] Fedora 10 virtual box using kvm...

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 10:24:15 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Scott Doty <scott at corp.sonic.net> wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
> > Scott Doty wrote on Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:38:01 -0800:
> >

> >> http://ponzo.net/newshawk/win7-2.png
> >>

> > Looks like that's using QEMU.
> I should have explained:  Fedora 10 (specifically, libvirt and
> virt-manager)
> use qemu to provide kvm.  (And virt-manager doesn't give you a choice of
> anything else, when creating a virt & you can run kvm.)
>
> >  Here it is under VirtualBox:
> >
> > http://blogs.sun.com/fatbloke/entry/windows_7_on_virtualbox
> >
> Nice. :)
>
> The first screenshot shows "VT-x/AMD-V: Disabled", and later on, the
> blog goes on to talk
> about a "guest additions" installation.  If I understand it correctly,
> the nice thing
> about kvm (or kvm via qemu, or any other Vanderpool CPU support) is that
> you
> don't need anything special in the virt itself to get it to work, it is
> "fully virtualized".

I don't get a full virtual machine with my CPU using either system.  (AMD
3500+, Fedora 10)  My experience is that VirtualBox works better on my
system, but maybe it's because I tried to use kvm a few versions back.
Maybe it got better.  I'm not sure why xVM uses the guest additions on the
virtual machines, but they do come with the package and are easy to add on
once you read the manual and know they're useful.

I suspect that it all depends on what you're using it for.  If my CPU would
support a true virtual machine, then kvm would give me a true sandbox where
I could test out new distros before I committed them to my machine.  What I
used xVM for most recently, is to run an old genealogy program under Fedora
8 (that wouldn't run under 10) and convert the databases to a format that
would run on the g-program that -would- run under 10.  For things like that
and running apps that just need a different O/S, xVM is lots easier for me
to use.

--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.