[NBLUG/talk] OT: Sources for Salary Data

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Sun Oct 18 08:05:50 PDT 2009

Emanuel R wrote:
> Dave I would also be very interested in this.
> Also want to seize this opportunity to throw out a question.
>
> Together with a partner, we have almost finished drafting a business
> model for a niche media platform.
> I have started developing using LAMP / Drupal.
> Currently using Dreamhost but considering scaling up to cloud (EC2 / S3
> on Amazon) eventually.
> Don't have any funding yet but going to need help to make quick progress.
> More specifically, looking for help to consolidate the architecture of
> platform, Drupal 6.0
> PHP/MySQL development, iPhone App development and Drupal theming...
>
> Any suggestions on how/where to look for help?
> Would it be better to start by looking for one person with well rounded
> knowledge or several with stronger focuses?
>
> Thank you for any tip(s).
>
> Emanuel

Emanuel:

Funny you should mention this - I've just immersed myself in a
drupal/EC2 set up.  We're using a set up recommended to  me by a
consultant.  A group called Chapter 3
<http://www.chapterthree.com/blog/josh_koenig/project_mercury_preconfigured_drupalvarnish_ec2_ami>
has put together Project Mercury
<http://groups.drupal.org/taxonomy/term/10203>, which is an AMI (virtual
machine) for Amazon's EC2 that is geared to use drupal (pressflow) and
Varnish <http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/> (an 'http accelerator') to
provide a really fast server.

We are using it for Copperfield's <http://copperfieldsbooks.com> new
website, and while the site still has plenty of problems, speed isn't
one of them.

Contact me off-list if you'd like more info.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net