[NBLUG/talk] Ob-X WAS: Re: FYI... "IBM and Canonical Launch Linux- and Cloud-based Desktop Software in the U.S."

Scrappy Laptop scrappylaptop at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 11:57:29 PDT 2009

I recognize the "obquote" from the old alt.hacks USENET group, where part of the culture was that in order to post you had to include some sort of original hack, or unusual, ad-hoc fix to a problem (similar to "a "MacGyver" for the gen-Y crowd).  Even if someone posted something off topic, it was considered a faux pas not to post an "ob-hack" along with it, however pedestrian (although points were given for creativity).  Kept the group active when things were slow.

Any ideas if obquote/ob-hack/ob-xyz goes back any further?  Anyone have other items of interest or memories around this meme?