[NBLUG/talk] Ob-X WAS: Re: FYI... "IBM and Canonical Launch Linux- and Cloud-based Desktop Software in the U.S."

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Mon Oct 26 13:42:46 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:57:29AM -0700, Scrappy Laptop wrote:
> I recognize the "obquote" from the old alt.hacks USENET group, where part
> of the culture was that in order to post you had to include some sort of
> original hack, or unusual, ad-hoc fix to a problem (similar to "a
> "MacGyver" for the gen-Y crowd).  Even if someone posted something off
> topic, it was considered a faux pas not to post an "ob-hack" along with
> it, however pedestrian (although points were given for creativity).  Kept
> the group active when things were slow.

Ahh, you mean alt.hackers .  Good times, I learned some interesting stuff,
and it's still in my .tinrc.  There were a few posts in the last year even.
At my current $dayjob, we have a tradition that we must have an interesting
idea to share at our ~weekly "huddle" meeting.  As with alt.hackers, it
encourages creativity and sometimes useful discussion.

> Any ideas if obquote/ob-hack/ob-xyz goes back any further?  Anyone have
> other items of interest or memories around this meme?

That's a good question.  Google's (Deja's)  usenet archive doesn't find anything pre
2000, but I know this practice is older that that.

-t