[NBLUG/talk] Streaming Web Sites under Linux

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Thu Mar 18 13:18:22 PDT 2010

On 03/18/2010 10:33 AM, gandalf at sonic.net wrote:
> First off I have almost no experience with Desktop Linux although I have a lot of experience with command line Linux. So I wanted to ask those that do have this experience about the current state of the art. In particular I wonder about television/movie streaming sites. Netflix, Hulu, Veoh, NBC, ABC, etc, etc, etc.
>
> Do these sites work with current technology or vice versa? Are there hacks to get around issues? What's the scoop.

I have a media pc that is all Linux, but I don't use it to run netflix.
(I use a Sony Blu-Ray player for that, it supports Netflix).

Hulu and Youtube are fine, though.

Okay, just tried it Veoh on my Linux desktop -- looks like it is
flash-based, works fine.

NBC.com = no workie -- flash loads, but it just gives me a peacock, woo-hoo.

ABC.com -> abc.go.com -> seems to work fine -- cool, I can catch up with
scrubs when I get a chance. :)

ustream.tv works too, used it to watch the mavericks surf competition on
the media pc.

vimeo = works too

BTW, Hulu wasn't working recently with the new (alpha) 64-bit Linux
flash plugin, but there is a 32-bit plugin wrapper for 64-bit firefox,
if that's the way you want to go.

64-bit flash 10:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html

For more info for rpm-based systems: