[NBLUG/talk] Cell Tower Upgrades in Sebastopol

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Wed Dec 7 14:22:21 PST 2011

It's a fair point, to be sure.  I'll also admit that my statement came
up lacking.  Thanks for keeping me on my toes. :)

I do think that if the towers don't get upgraded, the old antennas will
never be decommissioned, so upgrading is really the only path to move
towards reducing unneeded EMF, in my opinion.  Also, the newer antennas
will be supporting some of the older technologies also (the applicant
specifically stated that the new antennas would also be supporting 3G in
addition to 4G), so while there is a total net increase in radiation
(around 800 watts each for the three antennas, not exactly a huge
amount), it is likely that the older equipment can be replaced not too
far in the distant future with more advanced and efficient equipment.

If nothing else, electricity is expensive, and companies are always
looking for ways to make things more efficient.  I think that we can at
least trust the companies to find ways to save money on electricity,
which will push them to demand more efficient products from their
vendors.  We all know profit margins are the best way to motivate any
company.

I'd also like to add that radio technology is nothing new.  It has been
improving drastically (Moore's Law in action) in efficiency over the
past 60 years.  Radio gear can serve a far higher number of users with
far less wattage than was possible even 20 years ago.

To go back to the human health discussion, I know dozens of people that
have been working at close proximity with very high powered radio gear
for years and many of those for decades (some up to 40 or 50 years), at
a pretty wide range of frequencies.  None of whom show the slightest ill
effects other than the normal range and occurrence of typical human
minor maladies.  It's hardly scientific, but that's my observation and
human nature dictates that I be at least partially influenced by my
observations.

Thanks for your input, Steve.  I appreciate the insight and discussion.

- Chris