[NBLUG/talk] dd_rescue help

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Wed Feb 16 11:57:36 PST 2011

Hi Howard, I'm sorry to hear about your failed drive.  A few thoughts:
If a recovery process isn't making any progress, then it is only
exacerbating the problem.

Sometimes a device will start to fail ALL I/O, and one must restart the
process (using a dd_rescue logfile can help)

The comment about Disk Utility (Palimpsest) makes me think that the
problem you're experiencing will not be helped by the freezer bag trick.

The freezer bag trick is mostly useful for moving part problems (stuck
head, worn bearings, etc.), which doesn't sound like the situation here,
it sounds more like an issue with reading track data at the beginning of
the disk.  The biggest problem with this is that condensation takes
place while the disk is still colder than the surrounding air, and of
course water is bad for electronics.

I hope this helps..

- Chris