[NBLUG/talk] dd_rescue help

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Feb 16 12:56:54 PST 2011

I used ddrescue on a drive recently.  I followed the instructions at
http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Ddrescue#Kernel_2.6.3.2B_.26_ddrescue_1.4.2B,
which instruct you to run it 3 times, with varying levels of recovery
enabled.  It was able recover most of my disk, but had something like 28
unrecoverable errors, totaling several hundred K of unrecoverable data.

This was the vast majority of the contents of the drive, but it was a
boot disk, not a data disk, and the drive still wasn't able to boot
(into Windows) afterwards.  I wound up having to do a repair re-install,
and that finally fixed everything.

That said, though, I'm still quite pleased with the performance of the
ddrescue utility.

HTH,

DR