[NBLUG/talk] Which Linux distribution do you use and why?

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Fri Nov 8 10:17:03 PST 2013

It's all Linux on the inside.. just depends on your preference.

+ What are 3 main "things you do" on your computer? (web browsing, video
editing, development, running an online porn site...?)
+ Are you a minimalist, or do you like all the bells and whistles (vi
vs. emacs, watch out for flames)
+ Do you value GUI configuration tools?
+ What is your favorite DE / window manager?
+ Do you prefer stable/older packages or potentially buggy/newer packages?
+ Do you have any specialized hardware that would necessitate a certain
distro or line of distros?

All of these questions will play into your choice / evolution of
choices. It's cliche in the Linux world but it's true: Try them all and
see which one you like the best. You wouldn't buy a car without test
driving it first, right? You might fall in love with one you disregarded
before based on past assumptions.

Personally, I use Debian wherever I can but that's just because I'm so
used to it and it's characteristics (that and I feel that I align very
well with the whole Debian philosophy). I should try SuSE, CentOS and
others again sometime though.

Cheers,
Jordan

On 11/08/2013 12:52 AM, Zack Gold wrote:
> Yes, I am going to start a discussion about this. But it's only
> because I've been seriously considering switching out of Arch Linux
> and onto a distribution that doesn't have rolling release. Plus I'd
> like something a bit more stable for my Lenovo that will soon come.
>
> So, I'm wondering what Linux distribution you use and why you like it
> so much.
> --
> Zack Gold
> Former NBLUG Scribe