[NBLUG/talk] Which Linux distribution do you use and why?

Zack Gold zack at nblug.org
Fri Nov 8 10:38:29 PST 2013

- I find myself programming, listening to music (Spotify), watching
Netflix, web browsing. Whatever I end up with should support chromium.
- I would consider myself a minimalist, though I'm not sure how that ties
into vi vs. emacs. The most common software that I use these days is mainly
vim, tmux, and chromium.
- I enjoy my GUIs to be minimal; I don't like GNOME, KDE, or XFCE.
- My favorite window manager is (currently) i3wm because it's simple and it
gets the job done.
- I prefer stable packages.
- Because I'm considering a Lenovo ThinkPad X230t, the distribution I'll be
looking towards should support touchscreen capabilities.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Jordan Erickson <
jerickson at logicalnetworking.net> wrote:

> It's all Linux on the inside.. just depends on your preference.
>
> + What are 3 main "things you do" on your computer? (web browsing, video
> editing, development, running an online porn site...?)
> + Are you a minimalist, or do you like all the bells and whistles (vi
> vs. emacs, watch out for flames)
> + Do you value GUI configuration tools?
> + What is your favorite DE / window manager?
> + Do you prefer stable/older packages or potentially buggy/newer packages?
> + Do you have any specialized hardware that would necessitate a certain
> distro or line of distros?
>
> All of these questions will play into your choice / evolution of
> choices. It's cliche in the Linux world but it's true: Try them all and
> see which one you like the best. You wouldn't buy a car without test
> driving it first, right? You might fall in love with one you disregarded
> before based on past assumptions.
>
> Personally, I use Debian wherever I can but that's just because I'm so
> used to it and it's characteristics (that and I feel that I align very
> well with the whole Debian philosophy). I should try SuSE, CentOS and
> others again sometime though.
>

> Cheers,
> Jordan
>

> On 11/08/2013 12:52 AM, Zack Gold wrote:
> > Yes, I am going to start a discussion about this. But it's only
> > because I've been seriously considering switching out of Arch Linux
> > and onto a distribution that doesn't have rolling release. Plus I'd
> > like something a bit more stable for my Lenovo that will soon come.
> >
> > So, I'm wondering what Linux distribution you use and why you like it
> > so much.
> > --
> > Zack Gold
> > Former NBLUG Scribe