[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu 12.04->14.04 upgrade gone awry

Alan n1al at sonic.net
Sat Aug 30 20:17:02 PDT 2014

On 08/30/2014 02:37 PM, Omar Eljumaily wrote:
> Major version upgrades are always problematic.

That's been my experience.  Every Ubuntu upgrade I've ever done has
resulted in something major being broken.  After upgrading from 12.04 to
14.04 the machine wouldn't boot.  (It's a dual-boot machine and I
couldn't even boot up Windoze.)  I had to boot from a thumb drive,
install a boot repair utility and then execute some incomprehensible
hieroglyphics on the utility that I found by Googling the problem on the
web.

Now the only thing that still doesn't work right is audio.  I have to
run alsamixer manually every time the computer boots up to turn on the
audio again.

Alan Bloom