[NBLUG/talk] State of the LUG (Talk post for discussion)

M Poole urgyen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 13:15:21 PST 2014

In honor of the decidedly dead "no top-posting" tradition I wish to post
in-line. Please excuse trimming to cut out the chase.

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Allan Cecil <allan at nblug.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> As President of the North Bay Linux User's Group
> ​ ...
> State of the LUG
> ​ ...
> and to encourage further discussion
> ​ ...
> 2014:
>
> 460 E-Mail addresses are subscribed to the NBLUG Announce list
> 273 E-Mail addresses are subscribed to the NBLUG Talk list

​I don't remember which I am subscribed to, I'd expect it to be the talk
list and I would expect that if that were so I am not also subscribed to
the announce list though I am not sure about that as I can't recall what
the parameters were regarding this dynamic.​ I would love to continue to
receive emails. If this post bounces I will send to the other.

436 Talk list E-Mails were sent in 2013 (down from 897 in 2008)

​Hmn, communication resource development? I don't usually contribute but
"that's another story."​

 ~12 members attend each meeting as of 2014 (down from ~30 in 2008)

​I totally wish I could attend. Life has dialed me a new set of obstacles
so I'm working on it. HOWEVER... this would be the topic of how I'd like to
see things go with the group:

outreach
outreach
outreach​

​Cross-breeding with amateur radio groups sounds super logical as a means
to this end as well as the whole "Maker" / Hackerspace momements (
https://www.noisebridge.net/ ?).​

> 6 of 6 board seats are filled now with 1 seat likely opening in July

​My impression is that ​the board would be people actually attending
meetings. If the group were to be able to become more decentralized maybe
positions could be more easily filled. The name is "North Bay" after all..
that's a big area.

> 3,466 hits were registered at http://nblug.org in the last 3 days

​I don't usually chase down the web page. It doesn't seem to be developed
to accumulate activity generating information.​

~10 people are in the #nblug Freenode IRC channel at any given time

​I use to be a stalwart IRC-ist -- haven't had the time these days -- would
like to though. Kudos to the other stalwarts. I do have some interesting
IRC related development ideas​.

> ​​
> $145.73 is in the NBLUG cashbox secured by our treasurer

Outreach will generate overhead.​​

3 years have passed since a non-member not named Alison presented
> Important information: Please contact us at speakers at nblug.org

​Speakers are currently locked into one location, I can not attend,
contributing to topics in this way is more difficult. Having roving
speakers and roving meeting location options or auxiliary of either might
be more workable and breath a new life into the club.​

Mailing lists: Our mailing lists have remained fairly static

​The economy sucks. Circumstances are reflected in club activity.​

General meetings: Attendance at the monthly general meetings has declined

See above. I still vote for decentralization.​​

NBLUG Board: The current board as elected during the November 2013

​It is nice to see people able to contribute with the current model​.

NBLUG website: The official NBLUG website at http://nblug.org

​A website seems like a likely candidate to host a decentralized model.​

> IRC channel: NBLUG has an IRC channel at #nblug on the Freenode network (
> chat.freenode.net).

​We have major app / resource development potential here.​

Cash balance: The NBLUG cashbox contains exactly $145.73
> ​ ...
>  not currently seeking donations.

​I am not sure I can afford contributions or dues but would be interested
in trying should development of the club become a priority.​

 Speakers: The last time a talk was given by a non-member

​The member / non-member split is interesting. If the topics and
presentation locations were to be more flexible than strict linux etal.
more local resources may begin to show up.​

Opinion and analysis:  I, Allan, feel
> ​...
>  no means dead user group
> ​ ...
> natural rhythm of Linux
> ​ ...
> several "Hackfest" meetings
> ​ ...
> decrease in attendance has likely been directly tied to the lack of fresh
> speakers.
> ​ ...
> seek out speakers
> ​ ...
>  best resource
> ​ ...
> potential speakers
> ​ ...
> members themselves.

​Not dead.. YEAH!!! Ok, so to keep it that way and maybe even grow. A goal?
Haven't heard that motion seconded yet.

Natural rhythm (of development) is nice but I think "new and innovative
use" should be considered too.​ Look at what is happening in the ham radio
world. Whole brand new horizons are opening up to this "ancient" "open"
hobby.

I encourage everyone to share their thoughts about this State of the LUG
> update on the talk list and I look forward to a lively discussion.  Thanks,
>
> Allan Cecil
> President, North Bay Linux User's Group
>
> A.C.
> ******