[NBLUG/talk] When to buy a laptop? Where's the "sweet spot" these days?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 14:00:41 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 1:42 PM, William Tracy <afishionado at gmail.com> wrote:

>>   (2) if the vendor really *IS*
>> legit, buy it !
>
> The camera in question is a Canon SX40HS, and I did go home and research it
> before pulling the trigger. It's a good camera. :-)

<heh>  And are you drooling yet over the SX60 HS?  Now that cameras
are simply optical computers, obsolescence is the order of the day...
http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_sx60hs

Also, check not just the *product* reviews but the VENDOR !  Many of
these so-called "good deals" (in the camera world) are grey-market
(not for the US market, don't carry US warranties, menus/etc may not
be in English).  Some vendors will call to "confirm" your order and
try to strong-arm you into an upsell.  Some have been known to
part-out the OEM package, and then attempt to force you to buy the
parts piecemeal -- sure, they sell the CAMERA for a bargain price, but
they MORE than make up the difference by selling the battery, charger,
etc as separate line-items... and if they can convince you, also an
overpriced case, an under-spec'ed memory-card at "premium card"
pricing, etc etc etc...

> Actually, that's a good piece of advice there for *any* electronics
> purchase: Research before you buy!

And for any online purchase.  I'm partial to "resellerratings.com" but
I also like to check any topical community that I know/trust -- like
NBLUG for computers!  ;-)

- Steve S.

--
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of
childishness and the desire to be very grown up."      -CS Lewis