[NBLUG/talk] RAID1 and partitions

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Fri May 1 18:59:10 PDT 2015

Hi,

I would go with your gut.  Putting swap on md0 just does not sound like
a good thing to do.  Your experience with CentOS is similar to what I
have done in the past.  Is this software RAID?  How much RAM and CPU do
you have?  Depending on your answer you may not need much swap.  If any,
put it at the end... or create a swap file on /

I have been running some old mail servers for over 8 years on software
raid 5 with 4 drives, only 1 drive failure the whole time.  Still
chugging along... it's an old Penguin Altus 1400 1U. Still kicks ass
with the old Opterons and 16G of RAM.

Keep /boot on md0 and use ext2, nothing wrong with that.  Good stable
filesystem.  If you feel you need the LVM go with it or just use ext4
for /, your filesystem structure seems really basic.  I have done both
in hardware and in VM environments with few issues.

Best Regards,