[NBLUG/talk] RAID1 and partitions

Omar Eljumaily omar at omnicode.com
Sat May 2 16:16:36 PDT 2015

Thanks Mark.  Right now the machine has 4 gb of RAM, but the production
version will probably have 16 gb. Just one CPU with probably 6 cores.
I've always wondered about swap, whether it's really needed if you have
enough RAM.

I've noticed that Ubuntu doesn't automatically delete old system files
in /boot, so probably a fairly large boot partition will make things easier.

LVM is a big gray area for me.  If I want as swap partition without
having to do another RAID volume wouldn't it be necessary?  For that
matter could I do an ext4 /boot partition in the same volume as swap and
/?  Probably better to do just what is normal and use ext2, but I'm just
wondering.

One aspect of RAID1 is the ability do a live 100% accurate mirror and
put the disk aside as a system configured backup.  That isn't easily
done with any other technology I can think of.  It involves degrading a
drive while it rebuilds itself, but it can be done after hours and slow
times.  The alternative would be a 5 hour/ terrabyte offline Clonzilla
backup.  Maybe there are ways to cobble that function together using
rsync, but it wouldn't be easy.

Thanks,

Omar