[NBLUG/talk] Top VIRT memory

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Nov 25 15:26:38 PST 2015

I've got this one application MATLAB that is grabbing about 30gigs of
VIRT in top. You can watch it build and it generally goes up to 33g or
so and then backs of to 29g. This is on a 126g system. The RES memory is
around 600m and the SHR memory is about 100m. Now at first this was
freaking me out, but today we did some testing and watched the free
memory as well as buffers and cached. There was little movement. So we
brought up five instances of the program on different terminals. They
all showed similar memory usage but free memory just dropped down a gig
or two.

I've been reading over the descriptions of the top memory and am not
really sure whats going on, but it looks like it's not harmful. Anybody
have any ideas or advice?