[NBLUG/talk] Top VIRT memory

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 15:39:36 PST 2015

I'd try to track down one of the more-intense MATLAB users, and see if
you can get them to do some testing with you... specifically, get them
to run some intense processing under the app, and see if you get any
changes to your observed behavior.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 3:26 PM,  <gandalf at sonic.net> wrote:
> I've got this one application MATLAB that is grabbing about 30gigs of VIRT
> in top. You can watch it build and it generally goes up to 33g or so and
> then backs of to 29g. This is on a 126g system. The RES memory is around
> 600m and the SHR memory is about 100m. Now at first this was freaking me
> out, but today we did some testing and watched the free memory as well as
> buffers and cached. There was little movement. So we brought up five
> instances of the program on different terminals. They all showed similar
> memory usage but free memory just dropped down a gig or two.
>
> I've been reading over the descriptions of the top memory and am not really
> sure whats going on, but it looks like it's not harmful. Anybody have any
> ideas or advice?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of
childishness and the desire to be very grown up."      -CS Lewis