[SoCoSA/discuss] Re: WinXP -- joining a Win2K domain

Trevor Benson tBenson at a-1networks.com
Wed Jul 19 16:19:03 PDT 2006

><SNIP>
>
>FWIW, the resolution I came to was to revert to a prior system-checkpoint.
>
>After that, I re-did the domain-stuff (and a lot of app-loading stuff; it was an older
>checkpoint), and everything went smooth as silk...

What kind of changed had you made prior to joining this domain? Or was this a box in service for a long time on another domain?  All these issues seem strange as a basic rename should go well (I think that was your original reason for all of this) unless the domain is having issues (which would be noted in event logs on servers for Directory Sync issues).

I ask as this starts to sound like a larger issue in your environment instead of a single system.  Not that changes to an individual system cant do what obviously it did, just when I see rename and join issues where the stock procedures don’t work, and DNS is not an issue, the domain usually is degrading to some extent, probably not a worry for you, but good to check just in case anyway.

Trevor