[SoCoSA/discuss] WinXP -- map a network drive before hardware?

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed May 3 10:30:09 PDT 2006

If you don't have a networked drive to stick there, you could try sharing
one of you're own folders (on the same computer) and then mapping it to G.
I don't see any reson why this wouldn't work as a placeholder. Of course
you're going to want to map it to the actual drive later.

If you're having problems mapping, just go into Windows Explorer, find the
drive/folder you want to map and then Tools/Map Network Drive. You'll want
to select reconnect at login.

Hmm. Looks like you'll need to release the drive letter before you can map
it.... Not exactly sure how to do that.