[SoCoSA/discuss] OpenVPN? Or...?

Steve S. northbaygeek at gmail.com
Thu May 18 13:22:57 PDT 2006

Hi, all...

I've got a need for both remote-user (now) and remote-office (soon)
connectivity, in a MS-Win-centric environment:  the servers are mostly
Win2K, 1 Win2003, 1-2 Mac's; the workstations are mostly Win2KPro, a
few WinXP & Mac's.  Nobody is yet running Linux, although there's
Linux on the gateway router (nobody else has realized this -- to them,
it's a proprietary appliance).  Home-users will be running all sorts
of OS'es, but again mostly MS-Win-centric.

Before I got here, they had remote-access via single-modem dial-up
(i.e. one user at a time, slowly); the gateway router also pre-dates
my arrival.

I'm looking at a VPN as likely the "best" solution (i.e. one solution
for both problems), but thought I'd ask here if anyone had other
opinions they'd care to share.

Given a VPN, I'm inclined toward "OpenVPN":
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/openvpn
   http://openvpn.net/
But again, I'm interested in others' opinions...  Has anyone run this
thing MS-only?  Anything else they've liked (or disliked)?

- Steve S.