[SoCoSA/discuss] snmpd

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 01:13:37 PST 2007

After working with your suggestions, below is the resulting snmpd.conf
file (identical on both systems). I had started with a very basic
snmpd.conf file after reading a very simple howto (it only contained
the first line that is given in the below file). I did preserve the
original in case it was needed.

My apologies in leaving out that important info. I am using Debian
Etch. AMD64 on one system and i386 on the other. The test command you
asked for, snmpwalk -v 2c -c public ns2 (office in my case, being run
from ns3), returns no results of the remote system. Running it against
localhost gives me a wealth of information.

A friend of mine seems to think that there could possibly be a
communication problem between hosts since I can't telnet to ports 161
and 162 (I cleared out all ipchains rules just in case), but he said
he's not familiar with snmp. You were correct that I needed snmp also,
and after installing snmpd and snmpwalk commands worked fine. Please
let me know if you need anything else.

Perhaps I don't understand the command, as when I run "snmpwalk -v 1
-c mycommunity office system.sysUpTime.0", I get a result, but if I
replace localhost with the system name "office", I get "snmpwalk:
Unknown host (office) (Connection timed out)".

snmpd.conf:

-----

rocommunity mycommunity (without this line, i cannot get snmpwalk
results from localhost)

com2sec mycommunity 192.168.1.0/24 mycommunity

group MyROSystem v1        paranoid
group MyROSystem v2c       paranoid
group MyROSystem usm       paranoid
group MyROGroup v1         readonly
group MyROGroup v2c        mynetwork
group MyROGroup usm        readonly
group MyRWGroup v1         readwrite
group MyRWGroup v2c        readwrite
group MyRWGroup usm        readwrite

view all    included  .1
view system included  .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system

access MyROSystem ""     any       noauth    exact  system none   none
access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  all    none   none
access MyRWGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  all    all    none
access MyROGroup ""      v2c       noauth    prefic all    none   none

includeAllDisks 0%

syslocation Unknown (configure /etc/snmp/snmpd.local.conf)
syscontact Root <root at localhost> (configure /etc/snmp/snmpd.local.conf)