[NBLUG/talk] quoted printable / Entourage

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Thu Jun 17 16:36:44 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 03:34:13PM -0700, Troy Arnold wrote:
>  occasionally receive mail from an OSX Entourage user:
>
> Basically, it's quoted-printable with ISO-8859-1 and it looks like crap,
> with quotes and apostrophes appearing to me as question marks.  I
> usually use mutt, but it looks like crap with mozilla mail as well.

You're seeing *question marks*, not =B9, =B3, =B2, etc?

What terminal are you using?

> Couple of questions:
> 1) What is the fundamental source of the problem?

>From what I'm seeing, the fundamental problem is that mutt is incorrectly
assuming it can print certain special characters and your terminal isn't
capable.  Probably your $TERM variable is something like "xterm", but you're
running some off-brand...

> 2) Any mutt-foo or other workarounds so I can look at this without
> blinking?

1) try a different terminal
2) this into your ~/.muttrc:
set charset "us-ascii"