[NBLUG] Last night's meeting & InstallFest Reminder

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Wed Feb 14 09:59:21 PST 2001

Hello all!

For those of you who missed last night's meeting, I must say - you missed a
GREAT meeting.  Not only did we have a very full house, but the talk went
very well.  Frank and Devin covered building a Firewall with Linux under
kernel 2.2.x very well - lot's of great examples and lot's of
why-you-hafta-do-what-you-do tips and tricks.  If you went and missed the
URL of the talk page, or if you weren't able to attend and are curious to
get some pointers on getting started, check out:

http://www.nblug.org/firewall/

If you found last night's talk enjoyable, you'll be happy to know that Frank
and Devin are talking about doing a second talk that will more fully cover
the new features in kernel 2.4.x for firewalling, especially the state-full
packet inspection.  Stay tuned for an update about that.

Also, as a reminder, we've got an InstallFest happening on this Saturday,
the 17th starting at 10AM.  There is also a computer show at the SoCo
Fairgrounds, so this is a great opportunity to go grab a new computer (or
the rest of the parts you need to put together an old one) and bring it on
over to Sebastopol (full directions are on our web site...see below) and get
assistance installing Linux on it.

You don't have to have a computer to install to stop by on Saturday - just
come by to say hi or ask a question you may have.  We'll have lot's of folks
to help out.

If you WOULD like help installing a machine, please do us the favor of
registering at the site:

http://www.nblug.org/installfest/

Hope to see you all on Saturday!

-Dustin