[NBLUG/Announce] General Meeting: (2006/04/11) Splunk

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Thu Apr 6 19:17:38 PDT 2006

Hi NBLUG,

This month's general meeting will be a bit different.

First of all, our presenter Patrick McGovern and Splunk have graciously
offered to provide pizza for our meeting. Since we want to give Patrick
plenty of time to speak, this means we will be opening up the room early
for pizza. The plan is to open up around 6:45 and serve pizza between then
and 7:30 and then proceed with the rest of the meeting.

Secondly, this month we are holding our annual election for the NBLUG
board. We plan to hand out paper ballots along with the raffle tickets we
normally hand out before the presentation. We will then collect the ballots
before the meeting and announce the results of the election. If you would
like to run for one of the positions or nominate someone else, there is
still time, simply post to the talk list with the subject line NOMINATE and
list the board position and person you would like to nominate in the body.

To see the current list of positions go here:

http://nblug.org/board/election/2006

Here are the meeting details:

Start:  2006/04/11 - 7:30pm (6:45 if you want pizza)
End:    2006/04/11 - 9:00pm
Location:
O'Reilly, Sebastopol, CA
http://nblug.org/genloc

    http://www.splunk.com/

    Splunk is search software that indexes and links together ALL the IT
    data generated by ANY system, application or device making it possible
    to search and navigate your running IT infrastructure.

    From one place, make sense of logs, configuration files, message
    queues, JMX notifications, SNMP and database transactions from any
    system, application or device:

        * Gain secure access to all your IT data
        * Perform ad-hoc investigations
        * Alert on problems spanning multiple tiers
        * Report on activities across the data center
        * Tap into a global community of IT experts

    The speaker, Patrick McGovern is an expert in building thriving online
    communities. Prior to joining Splunk, he oversaw SourceForge.net, the
    world's largest Open Source development website, for five years.
    Patrick grew the site from a few thousand users to over a million
    registered Open Source developers and 97,000 Open Source software
    projects. SourceForge.net is now the de facto repository for Open
    Source software. Splunk is leveraging his experience to build a vibrant
    community around key Splunk technologies and services. Patrick is a
    frequent speaker and panelist at key industry conferences. He holds a
    B.S. in Computer Science from the University of San Francisco.

We are always looking for speakers, so if you or anyone you know would like to
give a presentation to a group of friendly nerds please send an email to
speakers at nblug.org . Thank you, and I look forward to seeing you all there at
the next meeting.

--
Kyle Rankin