USB and redhat 7.2 and eth0/1

Jake Jake at callatg.com
Thu Oct 25 18:17:09 PDT 2001

Hello all,

I just installed RedHat 7.2 from cd and I love it.
I did this on my Sony PCG-XG29
Nautilus looks beautiful.

However I can't seem to get USB to work on the system. I was hoping to use
an external usb mouse when I found out it wasn't getting power! Imagine my
suprise when dmesg | grep usb returned nothing. I poked around in /proc/bus
and noticed that there is no USB. /dev/usb exsists and I ran usbview and got
this error:

"Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices

Verify that you have USB compiled into your kernel, have the USB core
modules loaded, and have the usbdevfs filesystem mounted. "

I did a locate usb | grep modules and I got a long list of files in
/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/usb/
So if I have the modules compiled and in their correct /lib directory, why
does the system not even have an init.d script for starting usb? Shouldnt
redhat have installed this? What are my options for getting this to work?

Also does anyone know the correct way to change your eth0 to eth1 and vice
versa?
I don't want my 802.11 card being my default card, when I dont even have
802.11 set up yet :)

Other than this I noticed a few quirks with Nautilus, like being unable to
load news headlines in the file manager.
SlashApp seems to be having this very same problem, so I assume I dont have
the correct XML parser installed (If that is so why in the world would it
not have told me about Nautilus needing it?).

On another note I just got my 802.11 hardware for my perfectly working
redhat server. So soon the park by my home will have Internet Access.

Thanks in advance :)

-
Jake