[NBLUG/talk] Using Linux to manage a server

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Dec 17 09:21:01 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 03:17:25PM -0800, Cameron Tully-Smith wrote:
> The reason I'd like telnet or other remote access is to allow me to leave
> the machine on, restart it from a bootable partition and then be able to
> get to the machine remotely to pick another OS.

I'm thinking VMware is likely your best bet...

But for remote access to the boot menu, you could set up grub (or lilo) with
a serial console.  A lot of colo facilities have some way to get access to
serial consoles, since it's a common request for Solaris servers.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/configure-boot-loader-grub.html

http://tinyurl.com/znr5

Or just edit the grub configuration to a different default from whatever's
booted at the time.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large