[NBLUG/talk] Invention of the Unary Number System

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon May 19 15:39:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 02:47:52PM -0700, Andru Luvisi wrote:
> In order for this to work, you need a way to signal the end of a number
> and the start of the next one.  I could, for example, write it "0 00 000",
> but then I am using a zero and a space (binary).

That's what stop bits, synchronous mode or out-of-band communication are
for.

(the same problem applies to base-10 or base-2.  Either a given count range
is assumed or an extra non-numeric value is used to separate numbers from
each other, ie, to tell "12" from "1 2", I have to use an 11th type of
character in my base-10 system.)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore