[NBLUG/talk] recommendations for distro

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Fri Nov 21 06:28:01 PST 2003

Kevin -

A view point from someone who has limited *NIX experience:

On a lark, I installed Red Hat 4 (bought at Best Buy) on one of my
computers headed for the scrap pile about three years ago.  The install
was easier than Windows but that version of Samba did create a
challenge.  When Samba was finally up and working, I really got hooked
on this "box in the corner" and decided to activate FTP, then HTTP and
finally PHP with Interbase.  Keep in mind my *NIX experience was very
limited.  Since I earn my living writing database applications, oriented
to the class action administrators, with Delphi, I found, thanks to
Samba, I could use the PHP to develop Web apps very easily and use the
FTP server to get my Delphi apps to my client - never see them any more.

The Linux server runs on my home office network with five other
computers and a Primary Domain Controller, and thanks to Samba, it is
just another computer in Windows Explorer.

Now I am up to Red Hat 9 (again bought) and the computer hardware has
been upgraded.  However, it still does not have a UPS like its mates, so
when the electricity goes out in western Sonoma during the storms, the
poor box surfers a horrible "reboot" but has never failed to come back
[not a recommended procedure].  The Red Hat Network makes the upgrades a
snap, but I am still struggling to learn where all of the configuration
files are located (since I need to get to them so infrequently, I tend
to forget what I learned the last time I was there :-)  ).

Oh yes!  The folks on this List are very helpful and never make fun of
my limited *NIX experience.  But I am trying, with difficulty, to get a
better handle on RH Linux - if there is room, I will take a Linux Admin
course at Santa Rosa JC in the Spring.

Todd