[NBLUG/talk] Mail Help

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Fri Jul 30 16:23:32 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 02:15:21PM -0700, Walter Hansen wrote:
> Here's a breakthrough:
>
> Sendmail is putting mail in the users home directory in Maildir/new
> instead of putting it into the normal place. What have I done? Why would
> it do that? Did I somehow have an IMAP setup without knowing it?
>
> there is a cur/ new/ and tmp/ directory for each user under Maildir
> Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at?

That's a "Maildir" format mailbox.  A Maildir format mailbox consists of a
directory containing cur, new and tmp directories (and then in those folders
there will be files with names of $timestamp.$pid.$host
(1090982720.1234.bob).  Technically the pid is something that simply has to
be unique during the second delivery is occurring.  You'll often see a
semicolon and more stuff afterwards; those are used for various flags.

Maildir is usually preferred over the older mbox (big long file with
everything in it) because Maildir doesn't require any locking and works well
over NFS.

I'd suggest figuring out how to get the IMAP server to read from those
Maildirs instead of figuring out how to get sendmail (or procmail) to
deliver to a different place...
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large