[NBLUG/talk] Mepis mini-mini review

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 18:58:45 PST 2005

> Yeah, Klaus never really intended for Knoppix to be installed, but people
> kept asking for the feature, and someone posted a howto to do it the manual
> way. That eventually became an automated script, but if you notice, Klaus
> still does a crazy mixture of stable, testing, unstable, experimental, and
> 3rd party packages--something not ideal at all for an install you want to
> upgrade. Distros like Mepis and Kanotix are a lot easier in this regard,
> although nowadays the Debian install itself is pretty simple, or you can
> always use Ubuntu (or Kubuntu if you want KDE instead of Gnome).

Yeah ... I'm staying away from Ubuntu because I can't get used to the
idea of not being able to log in as root. :-P I've had lots of
experience with programs (Firefox and YaST come to mind) that are
unable to connect to the X server if you run them via su or sudo as a
different user than you are logged in to X as.

That may be just something funny with SuSE, though. I haven't really
played enough with Debian to tell if it has similar problems.

William