[NBLUG/talk] debian newbie apt-get question

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed Mar 30 19:03:41 PST 2005

Hi, I tried to apt-get install dialog and this is what I got:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  adduser base-config cdrecord cloop-module console-common console-data
  console-tools debconf debconf-i18n dhcp3-common fluxbox fontconfig hotplug
  ifupdown libfontconfig1 libgtk1.2 libxaw7 libxft2 lilo netbase nfs-common
  pcmcia-cs ppp pppconfig pppoe pppoeconf pump rxvt-beta ssh ted-gtk usbview
  xbase-clients xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfree86-common xlibmesa4-gl xlibs
  xmms xserver-common xterm xutils
  dialog

This seemed like a generally bad idea, and thankfully I was asked to confirm.

I am just a casual user, so I basically know very little about apt-get.
Any hints as to what I should do to get dialog installed(and ultimately
lirc as well)

Thanks,

Bob